Fun Facts About Nails
Make sure you like AmazingNailArt on Facebook to be updated every time we post amazing nail art, nail care, how to tips and advices.
There are a lot of curious facts about nails. You will find some of them below.
- Nails grow faster in summer than in winter.
- Male nails grow faster than female nails. The exception is during pregnancy and advanced age when nail growth speeds up.
- The nails of the hand you use more grow faster. For righties, that is the right hand and for lefties – the left.
- The longer the fingers, the faster the nails on them grow.
- Nails grow faster after an illness.
- Unhealthy eating habits and unhealthy diet are bad for the nails.
- Nail growth is affected by the nutrition of the body, the hormonal balance and age.
- Nail problems account for 10% of all skin problems.
- Color and condition of the nails reflects the health of the body.
- Nails and hair are made up of the same substance – the protein keratin.
- Nail plates are comprised of dead cells and contrary to popular belief, they do not breathe. Unlike them, nail beds and cuticles are made out of live cells and need oxygen and nutrients.
- Nails grow with approximately 0.1 millimeter a day, which means they need 100 days to grow 1centimeter. To completely renew they need 4 to 6 months. For toenails this period is 12 to 18 months.
- Toenails are twice as thick as fingernails.
- The nail of the middle finger is the fastest growing. The slowest growing is the nail of the thumb.
- There is a superstition that cutting your nails after sunset is bad luck. In fact bad luck can be due to bad lighting. Do not cut your nails without sufficient light, or you risk cutting yourself.
- It is not true that hair and nails continue to grow for some time after death. They simply look longer, because the skin retracts.
- If you place a piece of nail in a bottle of Coca Cola it will dissolve in 4 days, because of the drink’s high corrosiveness.
- Manicure has been around for 4 000 years.